Technology has changed our lives in many different ways and there is no industry or profession that has not been affected by it.
As we use our smartphones constantly every day, it is sometimes easy to forget how far we’ve come in just a few short decades. Who would have thought, after all, that it would be possible to walk around with tiny little supercomputers, permanently connected to unfathomable amounts of data, available at a touch? But we’re very far from the end of that journey. In fact, we’re only just getting started. Read on as we discuss the different sectors that have been most changed by technology, from medicine to education.
Technology is used in education from a young age. It simplifies access to resources and makes education more affordable. Perhaps the biggest change in education has been the advent of online courses. Taking the example of nursing, every nurse in the UD has to become a Registered Nurse (RN) to start with. If they want to progress further in their nursing career, they need more qualifications, but this would have been difficult before online courses were introduced. Working and attending college was not always possible, but now if they want to achieve a nursing MSN online, for example, there are fewer obstacles in the way. Online courses have many advantages, including:
- Flexible hours so that studying can be fitted in around lifestyle and family commitments
- Cheaper fees as the educational facility have lower costs for the courses
- Location is irrelevant as visits to the college or university are not needed – courses are 100% online
- No commuting worries, you work from the comfort of your own home
- You can work at your own pace without any pressure to be faster or slow down
Although nursing was used as an example, online courses are available in all industries and professions. They mean that more people than ever are able to gain degrees and higher qualifications which has had the effect of many people earning better salaries, as well as the shortage of qualified people in the US becoming less of a problem.
The Finance World
Banks now have apps that you can use on your smartphone to make bill payments or transfer money in just a few seconds. You no longer have to wait in long queues at a branch. You have instant access to your accounts, and this makes managing your finances much simpler. There are other things in the world of finance that on easier on your digital device, such as:
- Trading on the stock market. There are software programs you can download to help you with this. Buying stocks and shares was something that used to be out of the reach of most people, but technology has meant that now it is available to everyone
- Lending online. If you need a loan for a new car or some other large item, it is now quick and simple to raise the money, and you generally get a decision in just a few minutes. There are also many more lenders online and borrowing is no longer restricted to banks
- Shopping has become easier too. There is very little you cannot buy online. Without the overheads of a high street store, retailers are often able to sell their products at lower prices. Hopefully, this means more money will stay in your bank account.
- Savings and investing. You can search online for all types of savings and investments and find something that suits you. This has encouraged more people to put money aside for the future, as they are not restricted to saving huge amounts every month but can save what they can afford when they can afford it.
The biggest worry for anyone dealing with their finances online are the security issues involved. However, all financial institutions and online stores have tight security in place. No one can promise that your details will never be compromised, but much of the security lies in your own hands. Never give your information to anyone, not even people you know, and it is far more likely to stay safe and secure.
The World of Medicine
The world of medicine has been changed greatly by technology, including things such as:
- Quicker and more accurate test results
- More precise surgery which means that patients recover quicker
- Better record-keeping
- Record sharing online so that all doctors and nurses treating a patient have access to the same medical records
- Doctors are able to deal with each patient in a shorter time, so they are able to see more people, which has cut waiting times
- New drugs and treatments that work more effectively and have fewer side effects
Innovations in the world of medicine have meant that most people are living longer and healthier lives, as many of the developments are related to the prevention of illnesses and health problems, and that has made a huge difference to the health of the nation.
At one time, the only entertainment in the home was TVs or music, and perhaps playing board games. Now, the list of ways you can entertain yourself at home is endless. On your digital device you can:
- Play games of all types online, including playing in casinos and playing against other people
- Watch TV programs at a time to suit you and not when the TV company dictate
- Watch films and sports
- The internet is the largest library in the world and many books can be downloaded free of charge
- Interact with other people. Often this is through social media, but you can also connect with people through other platforms such as WhatsApp and Skype
There has always been the worry that digital devices will mean there is less interaction between family members and friends. However, recent research has shown that this is generally not the case. Families and friends watch films and programs together or play online games against each other. They chat on Facebook, LinkedIn, and the many other social media platforms, and it seems more interaction is taking place in this way over face to face.
Just a few years ago, much of the technology we have today was only seen in Sci-fi films and it was hard to imagine that it would ever really happen. But it has, and no doubt in a few years there will be more developments we have not thought of at the present time.